Mimmo wrote on facebook that most if not all the string producers use now
beef gut, because sheep gut is available only in limited amounts and would
not be enough for a sustained production. Beside this he says that to use
sheep gut doubles the production time. The use of sheep gut would result
then in more expensive strings and there would be a severe shortage. He said
also that even for beef it's not so simple to have gut from butcheries as
one could think, because the gut needs to be pre-treated and some machinery
and people that operate it is needed. So a butchery produces gut only if
there is enough request to make it an economically bearable activity and
there are very few of them around in the world that do it. The situation
might reach a no return point if the request for gut drops to a very low
level, because this might reduce the number of producers of raw gut.
Consider that in many things gut has been replaced by nylon almost
completely, tennis rackets for instance.

The big problem is for the gamba players. At least we have nylgut and other
synthetic strings but what about gambas if gut strings will disappear? All
the early music bow instrument range would be affected.

Francesco