     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Buzzing [was "Gut strings"]
     To: "Daniel Winheld" <dwinh...@comcast.net>
     Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Sunday, 20 November, 2011, 15:07

      Hello Daniel
      Our musical correspondences on these lists have not crossed paths
      before (I am Baroque Guitar phobic- the stringing of 4th & 5th
   courses
      gives me cold chills. I prefer the simplicity of a 13 course Baroque
      lute; and I tell no one that I string my 6th course in unisons-
   direct
      violation of Canon Law.)
      You are not alone!
      " But right now it is fine so if I take it to the luthier he might
      wonder what I am banging on about."
      Sounds like a typical car problem- disappears in the presence of the
      mechanic, so  then you have to leave it overnight so he can try to
      start it up in the morning.
      Yes - I have a similar problem with my car.  One of the warning
   lights
      keeps coming on.   The garage has done "diagnostic checks" and say
      nothing wrong but the light still comes on at times.
      You'll have to wait for that interesting combo of Santa Ana wind and
      monsoon season (Aren't you in England?
      Yes - I live in inner London which has its own microclimate.   In
   the
      late summer we can have a heat wave and then the temperature can
   drop
      20 degrees over night.
      Hope this helps, at least with the broader perspective. We are not
      alone.
      Yes - that's very helpful and I am grateful for all the advice from
      other people too.   I plucked up my couraged and E-mailed a luthier
   who
      did some repairs for me a few years ago.   I'll see what if anything
   he
      suggests.
      Best wishes
      Monica
        [Eugene C. Braig IV] Do be mindful that all manner of things can
        cause
        buzzing, from strings buzzing along lumpy frets to loose glue
   joints
        along
        structural seams to damaged/loose braces etc. ad infinitum.  Do
   get
        it
        checked out, but stay open-minded regarding possible causes.
        Best,
        Eugene
      Thank you for all the advice.   It is very helpful.  The problem is
   -
      and the reason why I so far haven't done anything about it - is
   because
      it is definitely seasonal.   Fine for 10 months of the year and
      gradually getting worse through July and August when we often have
   hot
      weather followed by heavy rain. And then suddenly perfectly OK
   again.
        It is also pitch related.   It is focused around the high octave
      string on the fourth course and the same note stopped at the 3rd
   fret
      on the second course.   But right now it is fine so if I take it to
   the
      luthier he might wonder what I am banging on about.
      I don't think it is strings or frets.   Any other ideas will very
      welcome.
      Monica
        [1][1]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html