   From: Martyn Hodgson [mailto:hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk]
   Sent: 05 December 2011 10:45
   To: Stewart McCoy
   Subject: Re: [LUTE] Transposing lute tablature on sight

   Dear Stewart,

   But isn't it interesting that, if Morley did write the original in
   staff notation and the piece was then intabulated,  this particular key
   was choosen?  Or is the suggestion that whoever did it didn't think
   it mattered whatever key they put it in because the lutenist would
   transpose (on sight.....). Why would they do this if they expected to
   generate sales? - or are you also suggesting that any 'experienced'
   lutenist at the time could transpose intabulated lute songs on sight?

   rgds

   Martyn