On 14/12/2011 1:51 PM, Daniel Winheld wrote:
You can't really appreciate how ugly the Arnault de Zwolle lute
design is until you have one. As DT rightly observes,   "When you
look at a copy of Arnaut's lute, it always looks a bit odd. It always
seems as though something is not quite right.  Some of the
iconography shows lutes where the curves seem bumpy rather than
smooth, similar to Arnaut's drawing."

This is an interpretation built in the early 1970's - bumps and all.
It is, unfortunately, my only 6 course.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/danwinheld/?action=view&current=SixCourse.jpg

 Sounds much better than it looks, which is why I allow it to live. I
think David Van Edwards has nailed it- too late for this one,
though.

Thanks for the photo. Of course the question becomes, do we play an instrument for its LOOKS or its SOUND?

Stephen Fryer