Hi David!

   Well I had similar experience couple years ago.

   Fishing line 0,6 mm on first string, then strings 1-5 from guitar set
   so we have 6 courses. And then I had to use again 5th guitar string on
   F and then four 6th guitar strings on other basses. So we have 11
   single courses. It works well on 650mm guitar exerpt the lowest notes,
   they'll be quite dull.

   Hope this can help to your friend.

   Good luck!