   From: Herbert Ward <wa...@physics.utexas.edu>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Monday, 2 January 2012, 6:49
   Subject: [LUTE] Non-stretchy pegbox leaders.
   We had a discussion similar to this three years ago
   (Dec 7 2008).  However, I'd like to revisit the subject with
   my question rephrased to focus more closely on my problem.
   Stretching of strings between the nut and the peg is causing
   me severe difficulty in tuning -- I can turn the peg
   90 or 120 degrees with no response in the pitch.
   Lubricating the nut is of course a possibility.
   But I'd also like to try replacing the portion of the string
   between nut and peg with a leader of some material which
       (a) does not stretch,
       (b) can be tied securely and easily to the string,
       (c) will not slip on the peg,
       (d) will not damage anything,
       (e) is strong enough, and
       (f) is readily available.