Interesting topic.

   This is maybe a bit facile, but I believe that the sound produced has a
   lot more to do with the musician than it does with the particular
   instrument or string material.  OK an authentic gut-strung violin will
   no doubt feel better to somebody who wants to produce an authentic
   sound, but that same musician will probably be able to produce a very
   similar sound on a violin with modern setup and metal strings.  So I
   wonder if the sound produced by an orchestra, at the time the changes
   were taking place, changed overnight?  I suspect the old orchestral
   sound gradually changed to a modern orchestral sound as people became
   familiar with what they could do on the new instruments.

   Bill