There is a better and cheaper method -
use synthetic stings.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Dempster" <miles.demps...@gmail.com>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 6:31 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: String hairs

Here's something that I posted in 2005:

Eliott Chapin, as he described in a previous posting to this list, has
devised a way for extending the life of gut strings, chanterelles in particular:

1. Before assembling the string on the lute, raise it to the
approximate tension under which it will operate. For example, attach
one end to a nail or door handle, and hang a suitable weight on the
other end.

2. Make a small wad out of tissue paper, Kleenex or what-have-you.

3. Put a few drops of Krazy Glue on the wad

4. Very quickly run the wad down the length of the string.

As far as I understand it, the glue, which has a very low surface
tension, quickly penetrates the fibres, and has the effect of binding
them together. In my experience, the string will resist much longer
before starting to degrade and fray.

Miles