OOn 01/02/2012 22:51, howard posner wrote:
On Feb 1, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Stuart Walsh wrote:

So: is it in any way reasonable for a composer to ask/insist that I put my name on youtube videos? The whole thing sounds so utterly ridiculous and implausible that there must be some other explanation. The only obvious thing I can think of is that the composer is worried that my clunky efforts might be misunderstood as the composer's. Should I worry about that? (More to the point? Why are they worrying about that?)
It's his music. He holds the rights to it. Let's assume, without getting into the details of international copyright law, that he can prevent your posting a performance of his music altogether (which is probably true, if you're paying him nothing). If so, he has the de facto right to impose conditions on your using it.

Thanks Monica and Howard. How extraordinary?

As I understood it, his more or less insistence that I put my name on my performance of his music was not from a legal perspective at all. My worry was that it was from sort of moral perspective and that I was failing to see what that was.

How extraordinary that the millions of posters on youtube, who have actually bought the music that they play, and earn no money from what they play, should be paying for for the privilege? Presumably this is an 'in principle' (as it were, 'de jure') concept whereas 'de facto' a gazillion players - or none at all - play on youtube without payment to the composer.

Unless we're talking at totally cross purposes (which I suspect we are) a composer has no de facto rights (he's going to come and beat me up?)

Stuart