From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On
Behalf Of David R
Sent: 15 February 2012 17:20
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Message for Ed Martin

I was talking to someone the other day about viol fretting,
specifically:  using old strings as fret gut.  Along with some
information on that, he sent me this quote from Dowland.  He didn't
specify John or Robert:

"therefore doe this; let the two first frets neerest the head of the
Instrument (being the greatest) be of the size of your Countertenor,
then the third and fourth frets must be of the size of your great
Meanes : the fift and sixt frets of the size of your small Meanes :
and all the rest sized with Trebles. These rules serue also for
Viols, or any other kinde of Instrument whereon frets are tyed."

I'm not familiar with the terms "countertenor," "great meanes" or
"small means."  I assume Dowland is referring to lute strings, but
can anyone tell me which courses he's referring to?

Also, I've been so out of touch over the last year or so, I've lost
track of people's e-mail addresses.  Ed Martin, can you drop me an e-
mail?  Something I wanted to ask you about:  d_lu...@comcast.net.

Thanks.

David Rastall