It seems that the punishment was exile or life imprisonment....

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/haywardp/hist422/seminars/Chant.htm

"Charlemagne... discovered in time that the monks he had sent to the other
cities were all singing differently. He reported this to Pope Leo of holy
memory, who had succeeded Stephen. And Leo recalled the monks to Rome and
punished them with exile or life imprisonment."

But pain of death was probably always looming over anybody who didn't fit into
the regime back then anyway.

I have just finished reading "The Swerve: How the Renaissance Began" by Stephen
Greenblatt, which does a great job of showing how horrific religious and
particularly monastic life was.

Mark