Ach, dear old Pierre Phalese. We'll always wonder about the back story. As anthologies go, they're a wonderful pool to draw from. When we see the other books he pulled from and what he thought would be worthy of further desemination, upgrading and elimination he starts to show us much more of popularity trends.

I have sooo many questions for him when I get my time machine!

Sean

On Mar 21, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Ron Andrico wrote:

  Thanks, Tom and Mark.  Forgive the off-topic nature of this but we
  actually saw the credit to Herbert Hughes many years ago, and
understand that Hughes was a collector and assembler of anthologies who
  was rather aggressive about taking credit for whatever he could.  In
  the US folk music realm, we have something of an equivalent in AP
Carter, who collected and copyrighted, and recorded a massive number of
  folk songs.
Veering back to topic, I suppose we have historical 'anthologizers' in
  the lute realm as well, Phalese, Besard, Mertel to name a few.  I
wonder if the staff lutenist-arranger who did all the work for Phalese
  would object that the publisher got all the credit for his work?
  RA
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:09:49 -0500
To: magg...@sonic.net; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; praelu...@hotmail.com
From: t...@heartistrymusic.com
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Saturday quote: Sean nos for St. P

We offer a video of Donna singing an Irish ballad that may or may

not be old. [1]http://wp.me/p15OyV-lK R&D

Beautiful!

Published by Boosey & Hawkes, 1909. Irish Country Songs

Collected in Donegal by poet Padraic Colum and Herbert Hughes

Tom Draughon

Heartistry Music

http://www.heartistrymusic.com/artists/tom.html

714 9th Avenue West