>   Certainly a lute player might have come up with a scordatura that would
>   be quite fabulous,

A quite fabulous scordatura has come to my attention in the English Lute
Society's March magazine. Melbourne MS LHD 243 is for 11 course Baroque lute in
D major tuning. So I cranked my 1st & 4th courses up to f# and had a whack at
the E major violin partita transposed down a tone to D major. Sounds fantastic;
better to my ears at least than F major, the more usual key for this partita on
lute. And it almost fingers itself, at least as far as I went with it.

>   And while I think it is more likely, even very likely, that these
>   pieces are for lautenwerk, it is quite possible that someone someday
>   will play them on some kind of lute perfectly. Without 2000 edits :)
>   Add virtuoso, rinse, take the repeats.

I can put in 2000 mistakes today with no edits. Subtract virtuoso, and once is
already one time too many. I'm going back to Weiss after lunch.

Dan