Several companies are now making good quality microphones specifically
for iOS:
Tascam iM2  $79 (has its own precision preamp and A/D converter)
Blue "Mikey Digital" $99  and "Spark Digital" $199
IK Multimedia iRig Mic $59 and iRig Mic Cast $39
Apogee MiC  $199
  I'm sure any of these would blow the doors off your phone's mic.
A big part of the sound problem could be preamp / converter in your android.
  Tom
> Is there a good app for recording yourself on Android?  I tried a few
> apps, but the sound came out very distorted and blown out.  I know the
> phone's microphone is better than that, because if I use the video
> camera app it sounds fine.
>
> Any suggestions?

Tom Draughon
Heartistry Music