Alex,
Pear is both denser and harder than hard maple, so it would make a fine bowl
for a lute.  I don't know how easily it bends, but since Mustafa says it's used
for ouds, it must bend decently.  The one time I used it was for a flat-backed
instrument, so I didn't have to bend it.  It took forever to sand it down to
the proper thickness on my little sander, but it certainly helped project the
sound.  I think it's used a lot for wooden flutes and recorders.

I would think the reasons it's not used more is because it doesn't have much of
a figure and isn't as dramatic looking as the tropical hardwoods and at least
in the US it's rather scarce and expensive.  There are no old-growth rain
forests of European pear to clear-cut.  I've never seen it in my local hardwood
dealer's stock.  The pear that I used was from Luthier's Mercantile and I've
never seen it in their list of available back and side woods since that one
time.

Tim