The first thing to say is that small cracks are usually harmless -
   The trouble is that the best way to repair them and stop them
   spreading involves taking the soundboard off, which is best left to a
   maker.

   If the crack is unlikely to spread ( - and if there's a curved J-bar
   under the soundboard it shouldn't go beyond that - ) a cosmetic repair
   would be a straightforward job for any maker - gluing in a thin,
   matching spline to fill it, for example.

   It's hard to be sure the action is rising if you don't have any earlier
   measurements of it.  I'd suggest measuring the height of the first
   string above the fingerboard (not above a fret) at the position of the
   8th fret.  If this is no more than 4mm the action should be OK - but
   you should still note your measurement and the date for comparison with
   later measurements.  Any higher than 4mm starts to make playing tough
   and a maker should be consulted.  There are straighforward ways of
   fixing a slightly high action - differently graded frets for example,
   along with a lower nut, which isn't a big job - but in extreme cases
   the lute will need more major work to adjust it.

   I've found that the most common cause of cracking is extreme changes in
   humidity.  If the humidity is stable, the wood shouldn't shrink and
   crack.  As you probably know, Thomas Mace's answer to this was to keep
   his lute in a bed.

   Good luck with this.

   Bill