On Wed, 16 May 2012 08:31:38 -0400, Roman Turovsky wrote
> Minkoff's images cannot claim to be cleaned up, considering their "quality".
> And photographic reproduction is PD, only EDITORIAL CONTENT is
> copyrightable.
> RT

This is partly right and partly wrong - but first let's be
clear about what we talk here: the rights on the composition
(which most likely ended centuries ago :-) or the right of
the _image_ of the original work. Those remain with the owner
of that artefact (and are independent from the musical rights).
And then there are the photographer's rights ...
Yes, _iff_ the manuscript (image rights) is public domain then
it's pretty easy ro distribute copies/facsimiles of the artefact
(manuscript/print/scribble etc.). But - most libraries will not
release their content into public domain. As far as I can tell,
every time I ordered microfilms/images I needed to sign papers that
explicitly forbid further distribution. I had to sign similar
agreements working with the microfilm collections of several
libraries/institutions (Basel Musikwissenschaft & University Library,
London - BL etc.)

In case of Minkoff's publications the OP will most likely violate
some libraries rights on the images [1].

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes

[1] Unfortunately, Minkoff publications care misleading copyright
claims ...
[2] IANAL

--
R. Mattes -