Thanks to all for advice on strings.
   Stuart

   On 20 June 2012 19:03, Edward Mast <[1]nedma...@aol.com> wrote:

   Hello Stuart,
   I have one lute strung with gut, and one with synthetic (both 'G', 60
   cm mensur).  On the synthetic I use a Pyramid 0,475 string for the
   first course (a New Nylgut string tended to break).  Second, third and
   fourth courses are New Nylgut (sorry, I don't have the gauges at hand).
    The fifth course is KFG, which I think is nylon/carbon synthetic.  The
   sixth through eighth are copper wound fundamentals with New Nylgut
   octaves.  For me, I find this the best synthetic solution.
   Good luck,
   Ned