To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:20 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Lutes and social classes historically.

Tobias Hume was not a member of the aristocracy. He was a mercenary soldier and died penniless in a home for the destitute. At one point he petitioned parliament for a pension complaining that he had been reduced to eating weeds to stay alive.

I believe the ancestors of the violin family were originally considered "folk" instruments.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruno Correia" <bruno.l...@gmail.com>