To: "Doughtie Ed" <edo...@rice.edu>; "Rockford Mjos" <rm...@comcast.net>
Cc: "Lutelist list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:53 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: folksongs

Thanks.  These look very interesting.  Do you have any info on
sources for these sources?  Are they available as facsimiles, or
doe one have to track them down at a library?
 Tom

There are also non-English sources which this discussion brings to
mind. Here are a few:

Delaborde's Essai sur la musique ancienne et moderne (1780) includes
melodies which are supposedly from Scandinavia, plus Air Irelandois,
Airs des Sauvages du Canada, Airs Chinois, Air de danse Russe, Danse
Grecque, among others.

Mattheson (re)prints (in 1740) a report about "netherworldly music" in
Norway from a town musician named Heinrich Meyer. The concert was said
to have happened in 1695, and may refer to a hardanger fiddle.
Mattheson also printed the melody.

Amadee Francois Frezier collected some melodies from his coastal
voyage of South America. He published a "Sapateo" as part of his
"Relation du voyage de la mer du sud" (1716). He reported it was as
popular as the Menuet in France. Stevenson has transcribed the piece
(1960).

-- R

On Aug 10, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Doughtie Ed wrote:

> Dear list:
>
> True, it's difficult to date folk music.  But one would be wise to
> consult Bertrand Bronson's monumental collection in 4 vols.,
> Traditional Tunes of the Child Ballads (Princeton UP, 1959-72).
> Bronson is aware of such things as ground bass patterns that
> underlie such tunes as Greensleeves, and is especially good on
> identifying tune families.
>
> Ed Doughtie

Tom Draughon
Heartistry Music