   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; JarosAA'aw Lipski <jaroslawlip...@wp.pl>
   Sent: Monday, 8 October 2012, 8:43
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: the point of synthetics - Rather the movement of
   the whole lute
     Dear Jaroslaw,
     I don't think you need be dismayed by Howard Posner's comments: he
     seems only willing to accept evidence if given under cross
   examination
     in his local criminal law court.
     For most of us this degree of scepticism is not necessary and we are
     prepared to take historical sources at face value unless and until we
     find compelling reasons to suggest otherwise - indeed, the study of
     early sources is a cornerstone of historical research. It is not
   really
     credible that Mace would have filled this major life's with
     unsubstantiated personal, and incorrect, opinion: even in 1676 there
     would have been people around to draw attention to any blatant
     inaccuracies.
     In short, I think you're quite right to use Mace as a good source of
     contemporary English practice.
     MH
     --- On Sun, 7/10/12, JarosAA'aw Lipski <[1]jaroslawlip...@wp.pl>