Hello

   As an Oud player as well as a renaissance lute player, I would not
   recommend buying an Oud to play renaissance music.A  It will sound
   awful even if you putA frets, andA you won't be able to tune it up to G
   ( OudsA first strings are ususally no higher than D or CA -- equivalent
   to second string Guitar 1st or 3rd fret)A A and you will not be able to
   play any of the tablature that involves anything more than single line
   melody.

   Keep the Oud to play some medieval spanish music, Cantigas de Santa
   Maria, sounds great on that, or learn Arabic music.A  A good approach
   for our western ears to Oud, is to play Sephardic jewsish music or
   Algerian and Moroccan Andalucian music ( no quarter tones in those
   styles). Anyway without frets and your western ear, you will find
   yourself constantly adjusting your fingers on the neck to be in
   pitch.... ( unless you are really used to hearing quarter tones...)

   If you can't afford a lute, stick with a guitar tuned and a capo on
   third fret. will sound much better than on an Oud, we all went though
   this and its is well worth the wait to buy a real lute, than to play on
   instruments that have been modified to resemble a lute.

   Bruno
   [1]www.estavel.org

   On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Christopher Wilke