I don't know why we have never seen a lute with a bandora/orpharion
   style neck - flat except for the thicker part on the treble side.  I
   really like that kid of neck.
   Nancy

        From what I remember about surviving museum specimens, ultra-thin
     necks
        didn't arrive until quite late.  There's a Hoffmann 13c lute with
        neck only 3/8" thick where it meets the pegbox, though, of
     course,
        there's quite a camber on the fingerboard that makes up for it,
     to some
        extent.
        In contrast there's an ivory-backed 11c in the Victoria and
     Albert
        collection (C17?) with a whopper of a neck - almost 3/4" thick at
     the
        nut end, but with very little camber on the fingerboard.  I made
        replica of this one (not ivory!) and it's comfortable to play,
     though
        people do comment on the heftiness of the neck.
        [1][1] http://www.vam.ac.uk/users/node/14513
        So on the basis of very few examples, I've a hunch that lutes of
     up to
        10 courses (and maybe beyond) would have had fairly thick necks
     and
        flattish fingerboards.
        Bill