I am building a 10 cs. lute per Robert Lundberg's plans (10-cs
   Renaissance Lute, Dieffopruchar 1612).  I am to the point where I have
   begun looking at strings so that I have an idea of diameters, etc.  As
   this is my first lute build, I am looking at Nylgut and am looking to
   tune to AD0.  One of the suppliers to which I have inquired has said
   that in A440 tuning, they have no strings at 65cm length that can take
   the tension for the chanderelle (and that no gut could either.)  He
   said that the instrument was probably meant for A92 and while he could
   supply strings in either tuning, I'd have to look elsewhere for a
   string for the chanderelle if I chose A440.

   I am wondering if any of you can talk to this topic.  Would I be over
   stressing the lute if I tune to the  modern tuning of A440?  Would A392
   have been the intended tuning or maybe A415?  What other repercussions
   of tuning one way vs. another should I know about?  My music theory is
   a bit poor - is the difference between going from A440 tuning to A392
   really any different that transposing down a (??) major second?  Any
   word to help get all this straight in my mind would be appreciated.
   While I understand that "pitch" is all relative, I'm having a difficult
   time getting my arms around the practical understanding of what I
   should do for stringing.  Thanks.

   Paul