That's very intriguing to hear, Hector. The Dalza book is nothing but
   catchy, easily digested melodies --again, in a good way. The
   strambotti, as you describe them, perhaps may have influenced the
   Italian song away from the Burgundian yoke that made Spinacino so
   serious (lovely as they are). It's very fortunate that Petrucci
   published exactly that set of lute books (including the frottole).
   [Reminds me of the 70's: Prog rock giving way to New Wave]

   Dalza doesn't seem to have any problem at all with parallel 5ths, 4ths
   and octaves either or inversions either and that's why, when you start
   to disregard those 'laws' the guitar starts to work very nicely. I
   could easily imagine a lute dance band of multiple lutes of different
   sizes (playing the alla Ferrarese or alla Venetiana) with a guitar or
   two strengthening the inner harmonies and rhythm. On the dance floor,
   what are people really paying attention to?

   The scordatura of two lower courses in the one Ferrarese "suite" is
   very interesting, too. He sets it in a group where there are already
   similar pieces --though shorter-- in again Bb (w/out scordatura) and C
   and F but, to my eye, it's the template from which the others are
   taken. If we think of different lute sizes for a trio playing to a
   common tonic we could simply use Pacalono's lute trio. Ditto, the
   Venetiana tunings where we get the additional tonics of G and D and
   here you can build two different Pacalono trios. Here, the one suite in
   Bb the Piva is very difficult [for none-O'dette humanoids] to play at
   the speed of the other Pivas with its constant 6-course chords. If you
   take the chords out and give them to, say, a guitar it gets very easy
   very quickly. Could these be shorthand duets?

    The pieces, unfortunately want considerable editing but it would have
   been far easier for them having had the dance forms well defined in
   front of them, unlike us.

   I'm certain there is much more than meets the eye to Dalza, both in his
   dance forms and his origins. Is he really Italian? All the dances are
   grouped together except the Caldibi Castiglian(o)which is given the
   prominant position of very first piece. Could this be a hint to his
   origin? His given name is Joanambrozio. Is there a place name of Alza
   in the sense of d'Alza? The Calata on 46r is much like a Romanesca and
   isn't that dissimilar to Valderrabano's in style --another Spanish
   connection? And of course, all those Calatas ala spagnolas.

   Back to Fronimo...

   Sean