On Jan 20, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Dan Winheld wrote:

One or more of the great early German pedagogs (H.Neusidler, Gerle,
Judenkoenig) was/were absolutely explicit on this: 1st course gauge for 4th
course 8ve, 2nd for 5th, and 3rd for 6th. On my early style 6 course lute this
works just fine. With the correct diameter/material/tension gut fundamentals
the balance, volume and feel are perfect. This stringing arrangement does not
sound harmonious & homogenous unless I use all gut, with the sometimes grudging
exception of a newnylgut or nylon treble. (But not the 4th course 8ve!)

I concur, Dr Winheld. I would love to keep them all in gut but reaching for the
instrument I use least or most and finding another broken or barely limping
along string compels me to fall into the plastic alternative. The last major
gut purchase nearly started divorce proceedings.

Sean