Dear Ron,

   I'm not sure how the audience's hands would help except by applause.
   The whole epilogue is asking for the audience to pardon him now that
   his magic has been abjured. (the magic of the play)

   Here is another direct appeal to the audience to use their hands from
   the end of Alls Well that Ends Well:

   The king's a beggar, now the play is done:
   All is well ended, if this suit be won,
   That you express content; which we will pay,
   With strife to please you, day exceeding day:
   Ours be your patience then, and yours our parts;
   Your gentle hands lend us, and take our hearts.

   And another from Midsummer Night's Dream:

   PUCK
   If we shadows have offended,
   Think but this, and all is mended,
   That you have but slumber'd here
   While these visions did appear.
   And this weak and idle theme,
   No more yielding but a dream,
   Gentles, do not reprehend:
   if you pardon, we will mend:
   And, as I am an honest Puck,
   If we have unearned luck
   Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
   We will make amends ere long;
   Else the Puck a liar call;
   So, good night unto you all.
   Give me your hands, if we be friends,
   And Robin shall restore amends.

   And here is the killer quote at the end of Henry VIII where he actually
   says CLAP!

   EPILOGUE
   'Tis ten to one this play can never please
   All that are here: some come to take their ease,
   And sleep an act or two; but those, we fear,
   We have frighted with our trumpets; so, 'tis clear,
   They'll say 'tis naught: others, to hear the city
   Abused extremely, and to cry 'That's witty!'
   Which we have not done neither: that, I fear,
   All the expected good we're like to hear
   For this play at this time, is only in
   The merciful construction of good women;
   For such a one we show'd 'em: if they smile,
   And say 'twill do, I know, within a while
   All the best men are ours; for 'tis ill hap,
   If they hold when their ladies bid 'em clap.