I've looked at David Van Edwards' diagram a million times. There's a youtube video of someone putting frets on lute: I've watched it many times.

I just cannot do it... and never have been able to. I don't understand the knot and I don't understand the method. I've got masking tape plastered all over the place and the frets are still loose and buzzing.

Oddly I can do double frets with nylon but I don't want them on a decent lute. A famed maker in North London quickly re-fretted my lute in about 10 minutes a couple of years ago but he doesn't reply to emails and obviously can't be bothered with such menial work. My lute is currently unplayable.

Anyone know anyone who would do it?

Stuart