Haven't been lurking, but just checked my lute email for the 1st time
in a month!  Interesting thread.  I have a friend who wants to amp an
old Hoffner lute-bodied guitar, and I'm looking into possibilities.
Because it has a "rose" internal mounting is not an option.
  I would highly recommend getting rid of cables, etc. by going wireless
with Line 6 G30 Relay.
http://line6.com/relay/
  I have been using them on my guitars and
find that they are very natural sounding.  They work very well for
upright bass, also.  I am sure that it would not alter the tonal character
of a Schertler contact pickup.  The transmitter unit is quite small, and
be concealed very easily.  BTW, I use both Fishman and LR Baggs
under-the-saddle pick-ups with an outboard Paracoustic DI preamp
connected after the receiver.
  The Hoffner may have a saddle that is too narrow for a "thinline",
so the contact-mic idea is one possible solution.  I have also been
using Samson Airline Micro wireless mics for voice, and I love them!
If I could figure out a way to mount one unobtrusively on the "Gui-lute"
I would go with that.  VERY natural sound!
  Tom
Heartistry Music
http://www.heartistry.com