----- Forwarded Message -----
   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: Stephan Olbertz <stephan.olbe...@web.de>
   Sent: Thursday, 18 July 2013, 9:02
   Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Markus Passion by Bach
   There is no evidence that Bach had the gallichon/mandora in mind for
   this. The names were very well known at the time for specific
   instruments and widely used to distinguish them from the (Dm) lute
   proper.
   Any use of the gallichon/mandora in this context  is a modern invention
   - presumably to overcome perceived technical difficulties. But if we
   look at the extant Bach 'lute' works, there are many similar (if not
   more severe) comparable technical hurdles yet this has not led to these
   to being identified as gallichon/mandora works.
   MH