G's and O's indeed. I remember how my lute hand coordination grew as I ground and polished my first 12" mirror. Just as I finished it (mid 90s) Saturn and Jupiter were both visible in the early evening sky. My buddy (who had intruduced me to John Dobson for the ATM classes) and I had a great year setting up our scopes on street corners in San Francisco for the public. Constant lines half a dozen deep every Fri and Sat night. Fun? Educational? Rewarding? Oh, lordy.

Now, how do we do that for lutes?
Sean

On Aug 11, 2013, at 11:27 AM, William Samson wrote:

  Gadzooks and odsbodikins (as we lute-playing chappies are wont to
  say)!  Do you think there's a case for an astro-lute breakaway group?
  I was curator of a public observatory in Dundee, Scotland for five
  years, before I retired.

  [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_Observatory

How many of us will be watching for Perseid meteors this evening? . .
  . And perhaps playing our lutes?

  Bill

  From: Mark Seifert <seifertm...@att.net>
  To: Geoff Gaherty <ge...@gaherty.ca>; "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu"
  <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Sent: Sunday, 11 August 2013, 17:12
  Subject: [LUTE] Re: general public Lute awareness
    Dear Geoff Gaherty, et alia, et aliens
Its so gratifying and exciting to encounter another astro- interested person, as I attempt email near the Julian Starfest here in southern
  CA
    (communications are spotty here).  The skies last night were
    breathtaking, stunning, in this very dried up rural region not far
  from
Palomar Observatory. Only 25 miles away is Bruce Lamb who makes the
    extreme instrument cases, so I took a couple of caseless lutes to
  him.
    He lives across the street from a 101 year old man who dwells and
shuffles with his walker on a 5-acre dried up estate full of coyotes
    and gophers.  Bruce Lamb is amazing.  He once starred in a 5-year
  long
TV show about do-it-yourself home improvements, but it went belly up during the switch from VHS to DVD. He also has a big potbellied pig who does pirouettes for watermelon chunks. I also met a little deer
    eared Chihuahua here named "Frijolita" or "bean."  Don't know when
  I'll
    get my lutes back because Bruce is very, very busy making extreme
  cases
    for musicians worldwide.  He's trying to connect with the Navy for
lucrative contracts, but the Navy is so clueless it thinks plywood is
    eco-friendly when the truth is just the opposite--even currogated
    polypropylene is more eco-friendly than plywood.
    Thank you for writing in and sharing your website.
    Mark Seifert