I bought a Planet-Waves optical tuner.  It shines
a strobe light on your string while you're tuning.

It works great with my steel-string guitar.

Positive #1:
There is no problem with jumping needles.

Positive #2:
There is no problem with competing sympathetic vibration.

Positive #3:
The is no problem with background noise from the room.

Positive #4:
The feedback is instant.

Positive #5:
It's small (size of a guitar pick).

Positive #6:
The accuracy is so good that the main limitation
is how smoothly the tuning mechanism works.

Positive #7:
There is no problem with the tuner selecting E when
you're tuning an A string.

Positive #8:
If you're inventive and knowledgeable, you can check
your overtones and detect false strings.

Positive #9:
It's cheap.

Unfortunately, it has only the six guitar notes
EADGBE, so it's limited in usefulness for a 440 lute,
and even more so for a 415 lute.

An industrial strobe light (eg, ESL-100) would probably
work, but it would be bulky and costs around $650.

Yes, I know you're suppose to learn to tune by ear.