I see. I try to design my own concerts so I have a say over my choices.
   Personally, I see it as a life-long graduate course worth, no doubt in
   the end, a whole of [SFX: Dylan wheeze into harmonica]. I guess we all
   try to get something different out of our playing.

   Of course I have to forego a lot of historical apparatus (the audience
   has no clue how any of the original songs went and I'm not in a doublet
   or can even afford a hat). But by focusing on the instrument --as far
   as possible-- and the years in question we can go a long way on
   re-enacting a possible performance and learning from the experience.
   From what I've seen from hand-held video recording equipment, Roman has
   learned and taught a lot of quite a bit about the kobsa over the years
   by _not_  using a pan-instrument to approximate the sound and Mark
   Wheeler shoots for a similar goal, fingernails (and RT's antipathy)
   notwithstanding. Both, to whom I am grateful, btw.

   By exploring the niches, we learn incrementally a little more about the
   music, the instrument, technique and its purpose --and it's ongoing.
   Learn and teach, rinse, lather, repeat. My only point, even if we
   assume there isn't future-instrument creep, is that the pan-instruments
   lead us away from enlightening niches and riches.

   ps, only 9 strings on the little guitar. Tunes like butta.