Len
   I assume you haven't been able to follow my link? I'm playing a cello
   banjo - four strings tuned like a cello, at the same pitch.
   Bela Fleck is very good, but I'm not a fan of his baroque playing, and
   it is nothing like my approach.
   My banjo playing has two paths, if you like: historical and
   experimental.
   Historical: I treat the instrument just as I do a lute or early guitar:
   find the early sources, play instruments from the period or close
   copies, read the tutor books for techniques used, etc, etc.
   Experimental: This is where the Bach cello suites come in. I use a
   modern instrument, with a plectrum. But it is tuned like a cello, so I
   can experience what playing Bach's cello music is like in the tuning he
   used. It's not an attempt to recreate anything. That said, I do think
   the instrument sounds not a million miles away from a plucked viol, a
   theorbo and a clavichord - a combination of all three perhaps.
   My main banjo site is [1]http://www.ClassicBanjoRM.com - but I am
   slowly moving that stuff over to my main website:
   [2]http://RobMacKillop.net
   All carried out with a sense of fun, humour and wonder :-)
   Rob