Thank you for your comments.  I am learning a lot from the members of this
website.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Mast [mailto:nedma...@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:42 PM
To: Chris Barker
Cc: 'howard posner'; 'lute list'
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Ebony Pegs

In my 40 years of cello playing I've never encountered problems with the
ebony pegs on any of my instruments.  Certainly I've never had any pegs go
out of round.  On very old instruments, much played and tuned, the holes in
the peg box may become enlarged in which case a luthier will simply fill and
re-drill/ream them.  I think the use of lighter wood - boxwood? - pegs on
violins or cellos is largely a matter of aesthetics.  Some players may
prefer the look, along with a lighter wood tailpiece to match the pegs.
Ned