I will be writing a guide in installments for my website on how to
record the lute.
There's more than one way to record the lute, so this is simply one way.
Please add comments,so anyone reading can get some other opinions.

Sample rate
Why start with the sample rate?
In a recording, you need to start at the end and work backwards. If
you record at the CD sampling rate of 44.1Khz, that's not only not
ideal, it is not ideal for the internet.
So most recordings are recorded in the wrong container, and although
you can resample the audio at the end of the process, you are better
off setting the sample rate for the output.

What is the sample rate?
Basically, the frequency response, the highs and lows. CDs cut off
the highs. Too much highs, and you may get some artifacts in the audible range.
What is the bit depth?
The bit depth is the resolution, like the megapixels in a camera.
24bit is the recording standard. CDs are in the 14 bit range,
although officially 16 bit.

What's the ideal sample rate for lute?
60Khz, 24 bit. Unfortunately, this sample rate is not available on
most gear. That will probably change at some point, but for now, you
want to get as close to that rate as possible.
The three best options here are 96Khz, 88.2Khz and 48Khz, at 24 bit.

Which if these three is best?
I recommend 48/24. It compresses and plays well over the internet,
and it is the video standard.
If you ONLY are going to make CDs, 88.2 is good, and there are maybe
some marketing advantages to 96Khz. I use 48/24.

It isn't as good as 60Khz, but you get the highs back in the
harmonics of the lute.

So then what?
At the end of the recording, you can make great MP3s and MP4s, but
there is something way, way better, and that is 24 bit, 48Khz FLAC files.

What are FLAC files?
FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Coding. It is a good way to
distributed audio files.
These FLAC files sound virtually identical to what we hear in the
control room, when mixing down the 24 bit source files.
Way better than CDs, and the internet is already fast enough to
stream FLAC files in 16 bit or 24 bit.

Anything else?
After making a recording, you want to have a disc with the original,
24 bit masters. Years from now, you can convert these into whatever
form is current.
Before the recording starts, you need a written agreement from the
engineer that you own, or at least get a copy of the source files.
Otherwise, you won't get them.