There are a lot of really nice things about Fronimo, but when you get to baroque music there are some ornament signs and right hand symbols that are not available. I have gotten around this by importing a pdf into Photoshop and adding what I needed.

Has anyone tried Paul Beier's new tab program? If so do you like in? What works well in that program?
Nancy

I found a thread to this effect dating back to 2008 and was wondering if
there has been any significant up dates to the opinions.

I am planning to publish some 18th century lute sonatas which are in staff
notation I intend to publish a study edition which is OK, I am using
Finale.

I also wish to publish a performance edition which will be in tablature.
Finale has  can achieve this (I am using the latest version 2014). But I
am not sure what would be most widely accepted style.

I have some published works from the 80's and, frankly I am not impressed
with any of them. There has been several publish since those days which I
have not seen.

Does anyone have an option as to the most appropriate style, any examples
of current works. I know that each player has his/her own style which
suits them but I am trying to find a consensus of opinion ( You can please
some people some of the time but it is impossible to please all the people
all of the time!!)I used to copy out all the tablature by hand and became
used to playing from them - but this just my way.

I would be grateful for your options. Those who have published what was
the reason for your choice.

Another question: I propose a study edition which will consist of the
score on staff notation and then publish as a performance edition,
probably in parts (there are 24 sonatas and I was thinking of publishing
in, say, four volumes of six in a spiral bound form for easy handling -
any comments on this welcome. Should I publish as Tablature only (there
will be the complete study edition should anyone be interested) or
tablature plus staff in one volume?

If the latter, the tablature complete followed by staff complete (or vice
versa)or staff then tablature following each other (definitely not
together on one page!.

Still pondering which, I want the publication to be professional but also
able to be playable from the publication.

--

  Anthony Hart MSc, LLCM, ALCM.
Musicologist and Independent Researcher

Nancy Carlin
Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org

PO Box 6499
Concord, CA 94524
USA