That was amazing, Alain. Thanks!

We see the treatises of Ganassi and Ortiz and examples of Spinacino and the Segovia ms. through to the books of Terzi, Dalla Casa and van Eyck and I just can't help thinking that playing the pieces well out of the books was "a good start".

Speaking of AdR, I like how his ricercars and fantasies always looked a little more playable than his intabulations. Maybe he made a few up on the spot or decorated what he already had in his head as he saw fit in performance and we are left w/ more of the barer bones. But I wonder if, freed from the need to improvise counterpoint, the chanson models allowed him to open up and improvise the different voices in succession (or in parallel). The written examples that survive are probably one snapshot of the possibilities you'd hear from him.

B.M.'s fantasy on D'amour me plains (Siena ms.) also comes to mind. He keeps much of the structure of this French standard intact but is very free in voicing the chords - lots of those up-the-neck chords, some even where they can played w/ exactly the same voicings in lower positions (hmmm). The tempo allows a man of his ability to easily add diminutions as well to it. I'm especially intrigued that he neglects the final section. Should you go back to the original or continue to the _next_ fantasy which, to my mind, equally builds on that just played? We should keep in mind the esteem that VGallilei held for him in the first Il Fronimo. Apparently they both have wonderful fantasies on popular standards as well as top shelf contrapuntos. I could easily believe this is how the big boys played tag in the 1560's or so.

Sean