Chris Wilke wrote, in a response to an increasingly unfocused string of
   comments on Segovia's influence on Lutes:
   | Actually, Paul told me that his idol as a young player was Eric
   Clapton and he was thrilled to have finally met him at the Grammys
   | a few years ago. Maybe Paul was also inspired by Segovia, but I don't
   recall him ever mentioning him.
   Maybe it is just me, but I don't see a conflict here.
   Mr. Odette could well have both idolized Eric Clapton _and_ been
   inspired to search out a lute because of Chilesotti's arrangements (or
   Segovia's arrangements, see below) of lute pieces which were recorded
   by (and made famous by) Segovia.
   From [1]http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/Apr08/Segov
   ia_4_8111092.htm:
   "The six 16^thcentury pieces are from an anthology by the Italian
   19^thcentury musicologist Oscar Chilesotti and Segovia was very fond of
   these miniatures as concert-openers. They are melodious and attractive,
   the last one a lively dance over an ostinato bass was composed by
   Vincenzo Galilei, father of physicist and astronomer Galileo Galilei."
   Heaven knows I have had enough idols in my time, anyway. I doubt that
   we're limited to just one.
   As for the intermediate suggestion that Chilesotti was made famous by
   Segovia and not Respighi, I think it's safe to say that very few who
   know of Respighi's arrangements associate Chilesotti with them. Most
   liner notes and information sources I've seen omit any reference to
   Chilesotti, which is odd, since Chilesotti died in 1916 and the first
   of the suites of Respighi, on Ancient Airs and Dances, is dated 1917.
   According to notes associated with Chilesotti's collection, the source
   ( Codice Lautenbuch) is supposed to have disappeared, so only
   Chilesotti's transcriptions would have been available for Respighi's
   inspiration. On the other hand, Segovia's suite of six are often
   referred to as coming from Chilesotti's collection, although Segovia is
   often named as the arranger. So I'd say it is safer to claim Segovia as
   the one who carried Chilesotti's name out of the 20th Century, than to
   make that claim for Respighi.
   Query: Has the copy of Codice Lautenbuch been found, or another
   copy/version surfaced? It is interesting to survey liner notes and
   reviews, since they seem to alternate without regard between late-16th
   C, 17th, and late 1600s as the claimed period.