On 12/16/2013 08:55 AM, Sean Smith wrote:

What? No love for Frederick Noad's, The Renaissance Guitar?

That book and others put me off of the Renaissance because I found that
most of the pieces, though simple enough looking, were full
of awkward fingerings that took more effort to master then
was worth the underlying music.  Later, perusing Ness' Frank book,
and working out the tuning, I found that I could go back to
the Noad with the 3rd down a half-step and have a much better time
of it.  It also caused me to lament that the grand staff had not
originally been chosen for the guitar.  Someone had a fetish for
ledger lines, I suppose.

Toby