From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
gary
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:08 PM
To: lutelist
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Bream Collection... I just noticed

How does one go about preventing the tastes of one person from "shaping the
tastes of an art"? Van Gogh couldn't sell a painting to save his life during
his own time because of the prevailing taste of his era.
Popularity is a factor in determining an era's tastes in art. It seems unfair
to fault Segovia for accepting his popularity and using it to further his own
taste. I'm sure from Segovia's point of view in promoting his own tastes he was
protecting the integrity of the guitar and the music.

Gary