On Jan 24, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Stewart McCoy <lu...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> can understand the reticence of Ralf and Howard in accepting musical
> allusions in the music of John Dowland.
> Of course there will be the same
> group of notes which appear in other compositions, a point Howard makes
> well, but are we to throw the baby out with the bath water?

The question is whether you have a baby or not.  If four descending notes
constitute a baby, you’ll have a population explosion on your hands.

But don’t let my reticence curb your enthusiasm.  Anything is possible, and
there’s no way, unless Dowland’s personal footnoted edition shows up, and
anything’s possible.