On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:18:09 -0500 (EST), Wayne Cripps wrote
> Hi lute people -
>
>   I recommend that when you compose a message to send to the
> lute list that you set the format to "plain" and avoid "rich
> text" and "HTML".  This will keep you from using formatting
> options that won't get past the mail list robot un-mangled.

Thanks for pointing that out.

>   The lute list robot converts every message to plain text because
> there was a time, not long ago in lute builders time, when many
> of the readers could not interpret the fancier HTML coding that
> would appear in their mailbox, and they complained loudly about
> it.

Unfortunately the bot _doesn't_ convert HTML messages.

> If it seems clear that now nobody is using a mail reader that
> doesn't understand HTML, I could start sending the mail on as
> HTML, which would allow people to use various fonts and colors
> in their messages.  This would not be trivial for me to do, and
> some small number of messages would still come through garbled,
> but it is a possibility, if everyone on the list wanted things
> to work that way.  I know a few people would be very excited
> to see HTML messages passed on in their original form, but I need
> to feel that everyone would prefer it.  So let me know, one way or
> the other.

Well, I myself would be bothered by HTML messages. Those messages are
mostly unreadable on some of my (not-so) smartphones (ridiculous long
lines that will refuse to reformat since the senders HTML mail editor
considers line length to be such an important part of the message that
it puts in hard line breaks ...).

But even more important: I disable HTML mode in all my mail software
since enabling HTML does not only open your mail up to all sorts of
nasty, rude, slimy usertracking (looking into your direction, LSA 8-)
but often also enables JavaScript as well (most Android mail readers)
and that's a _real_ security issue (note: I'm not implying that any lute
list member would actually send malicious code on purpose. But an
inocent cross-site script and your browser/mail client will happily
infect all your outgoing mail).

Please, no HTML.

 Cheers, RalfD

>   Wayne