Hi Charles,
   It is very much in the style of this music for a performer to adapt
   notes to others that he likes better and especially cadential
   flourishes can be changed.  Paul O'Dette talked a bit about this in the
   class he gave at the LSA's lute week in 2012.  You can see a bit more
   of this kind of thing in a score I have on my web site
   [1]http://groundsanddivisions.info/Quadro--JJohnson3versions.pdf
   It compares 3 versions of John Johnson's Quadro Pavan.  Another great
   place to see a lot of these comparisons is in the music supplements to
   the Lute Society (England)'s Lute News that are available to
   subscribers online. Their music editor John Robinson is doing a series
   of collections of every version of some ballad tunes (like Carmen's
   Whistle) and so far has done Loth to Depart and Go From My WIndow. He
   also did pages and pages of examples of improvisatory preludes and more
   pages comparing all the versions of Dowland pieces.  The last 2 Lute
   News online music supplements have included 80 extra pages of music.
   If you don't want to join the Lute Society (England), I think you can
   buy some of these Lute News issues from their web site - do consider
   joining the LSA first please.
   One more place to learn a lot about this - at the LSA Seminar in
   Cleveland (June 21-28) Nigel North is giving a class on ornamenting
   Dowland. I ran into him at a concert lasrt week and asked if it was
   going to be all ornament signs or would include divisions too.  He says
   it will be both and students will get a chance to write their own
   versions of the pieces.  Chris Morrongiello will be giving a class on
   ground - so more on divisions similar to what is different about the 2
   versions of Carmen's Whistle.
   Nancy

   Thank you, Nancy, for this detailed info! I have one version, its quite
   similar to what Paul plays, but without the scales at the end. I
   wouldn't be surprised if he is using what I have but just embellished
   the last variation.

   On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Nancy Carlin