On 25/07/2014 23:28, Bruno Correia wrote:
    Thanks Alexander. I was curious about this little piece of bone found
    in some lutes, so according to you it's only a decorative ornament. Are
    there better types of woods for the bridge, denser materials maybe?

I'm not quite sure, Bruno, why you are asking this now. It is not really relevant to your original question, to which I already answered, so ...

    I thought the saddle, being the material between the string and the
    bridge, was crucial for the transmission of energy to the top. How does
    the top receive the string's vibration?

Whether it's got a saddle or not, the guitar bridge is a rigid structure and, as it is, acts as one. As the tension of the vibrating string changes throughout the cycle, it pulls the bridge forward, then releases it back again and so on. So the bridge rocks from back to front and, by doing this, moves the soundboard to which it is attached.

Hope this helps,

AB