As far as I know, relatively few pieces were written for an 8-c lute. (Sorry, I
know there are some but forget who specified exactly 8-courses) Many pieces
were written for a 7-c where the lowest note was either an F or a D starting
with Adriaenssen and the Siena ms. in the 1580's and continuing through
Dowland.

Keeping a 7th course tuned at _either_ D or F is nice. Tuning that course up or
down between the two is problematic in that the string will either be slack or
tight - or both if you choose a diameter to split the difference. That's why
our modern 8-c is a nice compromise instrument for both kinds of 7-c pieces.

The 10-c, of course, solves a lot of those problems but had not been made
popular in the 16th century. When Dowland - and Molinaro, for example - used
notes beyond the 6th course they often had stricter counterpoint in mind and
probably preferred the closer control of the fingered course. Although Vallet,
on the other hand, used the same compass of notes (except the low C), he didn't
mind less control over the free-ringing basses. Styles were changing and
probably overlapped for various reasons in the first few years of the 17th
century.

There were a lot of instruments in play during that period (1580's - 1610-ish)
and a lot of styles (continental, personal, compositional, purpose) so it's
hard to answer your question with any exactness. I would also imagine people
played what they had and worked their bass strings to the material as best they
could - not everyone could upgrade as each new fad and book appeared.

Sean