I’m loathe to open up yet another contentious debate about performance practic,
but isn’t “air” performance properly limited to performance without anything in
the performer’s hands?

I’m not sure it addresses the question directly, but I think any inquiry has to
start with the excellent “Air Lute” treatise by Steven Hendricks:

http://thehendricks.net/?page_id=23