Yes Dan, V is for Very bad idea.

Metal-wound would eventually cut their own channel though... maybe.

The best round channel is one that is a slightly larger diameter than your
string. Think of a U-shape channel semi-circle in shape that may (or may not)
include vertical walls. While it is as deep as you want it's the diameter at
the bottom that is key. A nut harder than the string will retain its shape and
depth. When using gut that shape will support its round shape but also give a
little space for it to relax/deform under tension at the bend.

When you switch to nylon/nylgut/etc for the upper pitch strings, the string is
now as hard as the nut and it will cut its new shape at the further expense of
depth - a hard string resting on one point and then rubbed into the bottom of
the channel as you tune. Eventually, if you switch to a larger string it will
grip the string. (If you switch to a larger gut it will grip that, too).
Granted, it takes time but we're talking many lute ages in this thread.

One thing I noticed about nylgut is that you end up with a smaller diameter
working string than gut. Using the "old" white ng I would use the same diameter
as gut but after getting it up to pitch I had taken up considerably more
string. What happens to the diameter? It gets smaller. With the NNG I find I
have to use a smaller diameter at the outset. Both of these nylgut situations
(and nylon) are effectively creating a smaller channel making it a potential
problem if you switch to gut for a period - or, to a larger plastic string.
I've noticed that suggested diameters for nylon are also smaller than those for
gut.

For the 3rd course it's not so much a problem but it's a snake in the grass in
the 2nd and a constant headache on the 1st and 4th octave.

I think of it as using non-OEM parts on a Very picky old sports car. (They may
work but at what expense to other systems?) Eventually I sold the MG and kept
the lute because MGs are so difficult to carry around - even their descant
models. And there is another comparison/metaphor* of gut strings to Lucas parts
that needn't be made here, ok?

Sean

*comparison for our purposes; metaphor if John Milton had had an MG.