We ([1]Cuerdas Pulsadas)A have been playing with this idea for a while,
   in our case with lute related iconography.
   Maybe some day i will find enough time to insert more and more
   paintings...
   Check it out here:A [2]http://www.cuerdaspulsadas.com/timeline/
   You can view a pretty timeline, but also use the tags in the full
   detailed view of each painting in order to search by author, by decade,
   by country...
   I hope you find it interesting.
   Kind regards.

     Very interesting, watching it all expand, collapse, fragment, and
     disappear. When I viewed it, the end occurred in 1453 with the
     Ottoman Turks consuming Constantinople. What & where did you find
     anything further? Holy Roman history? (Not wholly Roman in any case;
     or as was famously observed, "Not Holy, not Roman, and not an
     empire.")
     In the meantime, we do have the big time-line chart from "The Lute
     in Europe 2" ('Die Laute in Europa 2") by Andreas Schlegel & Joachim
     Ludtke. Well worth having.
     Dan