Thank you all for this so far.
   I just checked out Barley (1596) which is apparently a revision of the
   previous English translation of le Roys instructions. It clearly calls
   for octaves on 4, 5 and 6. So this tuning seems to have been propagated
   in the tutors in late 16th century England. (Matthew Spring in his
   "Lute in Britain" suggests that this might not have reflected practice
   at this time (1596) as in 1603 Thomas Robinson already calls for
   unisons.)
   I reread the Dowland comments in the Varietie as well. It sounds to me
   as if he is at least saying that he prefers unisons, and that octaves
   were being used more in England at than elsewhere. I cannot imagine
   that he is only talking about the 6th course. Perhaps the style had
   already been changing on the continent.

   [1][avast-mail-stamp.png]